27 September 2006

Wisdom Yields, Reaps Peace

The wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without a trace of partiality or hypocrisy. And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace for those who make peace.
- James 3:17-18

I'm going to try and add a few more words to this without getting struck by lightning.
Wisdom isn't polluted, first of all. Second of all, it's peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without a trace of partiality or hypocrisy. What is the result? Answer: A harvest of righteousness/justice is sown in peace. Who is this for? Answer: It's for those who make peace.

Personal reflection: I struggle with having wisdom even though really there's nothing that would prevent me from being gentle or full of mercy, for example, except yielding to temptations. I may have many dark sides of which I am unaware, but one item on this list--"willing to yield"--I've noticed is extremely difficult. Well, that's not the right way to put it. It is tempting for me not to yield.

Let me give an example. Dale and Luke wanted to buy my lunch. We were standing in line ordering our sandwiches and, though I agreed to let Dale take the lead . . . after I went through the line and got my sandwich, I just went ahead and paid for it. Then, it was like judgment when Dale realized that I didn't let him lead, that I didn't "yield". It was sort of like I heard God saying, "Submit to one another, Jason." I took a seat and started thinking about how I don't like for other people to take the lead unless I want them to take the lead. That's the thing with wisdom . . . is to know, for example, what is right in a given situation. Then again, if I have this wisdom from above, if it just *is* that way in my inner being, then I wouldn't even have to *choose* what to do. My purity in that case would have boiled the situation down to one choice. I pray that next time I will submit to being boiled down to one choice. At some point I look forward to reaping peace that is not merely inward, but entirely whole with respect to all creation.

No comments: