03 September 2006

Abilene family

I leave in the morning to go back to Memphis. I've been playing around with my parents and sister and brother in Abilene, Texas since last Thursday afternoon.

I met Shaitaisha W. who is mom's colleage and the family's friend. She made me feel welcome--like I was her long lost brother! I studied and read in mom's office during part of Friday and met other colleages as well. It is interesting that their just renovated building has brand new false thermostats on the walls. If they are real thermostats, then why does 85 degrees feel like a meat locker?

I conversed with my good friend, Damien. Man, that was refreshing. He and his wife, Miranda, came over here this afternoon. It's remarkable how similar Miranda is to my sawsome wife, Nicole, but they've never met. Hopefully, the time will come.

Excursus--I was reminded of the time Nicole was finally going to watch "The Matrix" with me before we were married. SHE FELL ASLEEP BEFORE TRINITY EVEN STARTED KICKING! --

Damien introduced me to Noam Chomsky. I'm going to have to start reading Chomsky when I finish my ministry of study responsiblities. ;-) Miranda is rushing a club this semester. I am looking forward to hearing how it goes and I'm sure Nicole is as well.

I had a great time talking with my parents Friday night. And in the car on Saturday, they conversed with me for several hours. Melissa listened. I felt like I preached three sermons that have been burning on my heart. I'm so lucky to have people like this in my life who think for themselves but still respect my thoughts. My parents have passed on some valuable things to me. They challenge me, but at the same time listen to my challenges. Mom read Scripture in the car for part of the time while I was driving. Dad helped drive and was navigator on getting out of Round Rock.

We were in Round Rock (Austin area) for a few hours visiting extended relatives. My cousin, Brian, and his wife, Heather, have a boy, Cade, who is walking around now and babbling on in baby talk quite fluently. I presented pictures from our survey trip to Wollongong in July. We shared lots of hugs--Grandma S., Aunt Regina, Jerry and Cindy, Allie, Brian and Heather and Cade. We missed Chris because some van was burning on the highway blocking traffic from Waco.

I worked out with my brother, Stephen, Saturday night. That is always fun. I learn a lot from him about exercise and fitness and draw a lot of motivation in that important area of my life. We went to a bible class with our parents this morning. Now the image of Frodo standing up in the council of Elrond will remind me of Ephesians 4:1ff and vice versa. And you know you're in a decent group of believers when someone says in a prayer to God, "You give and take away." We had lunch at Copper Creek. I had my salmon rare (which I now realize is the only way to have it unless they offer it raw). Tonight, we watched an old video of Stephen playing basketball in 1995 and played WHOONU. (Don't tell Nicole I had apple pie and ice cream twice today.) I forgot to mention Rusty the dusty dingo. He's still a good friend, but he is having trouble facing his fears of storms. Yes, it actually rained while I was in Abilene, Texas!

We had some really good times together this weekend. Now I am looking forward to hugging and kissing my sawsome wife when I fly back to Memphis tomorrow!

2 comments:

Agent B said...

Didn't know you were in the fair mother city. Sorry I missed you.

Jason said...

Me, too. Maybe next time.