10 September 2006

Tagged for Book Survey

The following was difficult because I haven't read very many books in my life until recently.

Seven books that changed my life besides the Bible:
_The Last Battle_ by C. S. Lewis. Reading it right after I graduated from University affected my faith positively and still does.

_A Grief Observed_ and _The Case for Christianity_ (both also by Lewis) right before I graduated from High School affected my thinking and faith a great deal as well.

I read at least one of Tolstoy's books while in first year of Uni. It was based on Matt 25 and what it means to give Jesus a cup of water.

_Competency-Based Counseling_ by Thomas and Cockburn

_The Dead Sea Scrolls Today_ by Vanderkam

_Backgrounds of Early Christianity_ by Everett Ferguson


A book I’ve read more than once:
_The Last Battle_. As soon as I finished it the first time, I started reading it again.

A book I would take with me if I were stuck on a desert island:
_The New Oxford Annotated Bible NRSV w/ Apocrypha_ (leatherbound of course in order to last and I would probably start calling it "Wilson" at some point)

A book that made me laugh:
_Sex Begins in the Kitchen_ I guess . . . I can't remember who wrote it. It's the same guy who wrote _The Birth Order Book_ and _Sheet Music_. _Jonah_ has good humor in it, too.

A book that I wish I had written:
_Ecclesiastes_ or _Gospel according to Mark_

A book that I wish had never been written:
I would say most books should never have been written, but my opinion doesn't count for much.

A book I’ve been *dying* to read:
_Paul: In Fresh Perspective_ by N. T. (Tom) Wright. If you don't like to read, you should listen to some of his stuff. See Wright's unofficial website: http://www.ntwrightpage.com/

I’m currently reading (in school):
_New Testament Theology_ by I. Howard Marshall
_Overcoming the Dark Side of Leadership_ by McIntosh and Rima
_The Drama of Doctrine_ by Vanhoozer
_Come to the Table_ by J. M. Hicks
_Shaping of Things to Come_ by Frost and Hirsch

Outside school:
The Book of Daniel

Next on the list:
I don't know, but hopefully something light or from the Bible!

I'd love to know what my Dad and brother are reading!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you sure read a lot. Me - if it doesn't have pictures then I can't really get into it, unless something about it catches my interest.

There are a couple in your list that I might like to read, the dead sea scroll one for example.

Thanks for sharing :)

Owen.

Jason said...

Owen!

Great to see your comment! The Dead Sea Scroll one actually has pictures, too! It's written well.

Honestly, I've read more in the past three and a half years than I have in the 26 years prior. I've always read the Bible a lot (though I'm weak in the Prophets) because I had a deep interest in it, which has continued. But factual knowledge doesn't make me a child of God any more than wearing the name "Christian" does. I hope I will grow in being a child of God even while my interest in reading and knowing things increases.

Daniel said...

Jason,
SOunds like some good choices. I would like to read more of C.S. Lewis' works. I have only read his stuff in portions, but I would like to read more.

Keep growing and gaining in knowledge while keeping a humble spirit. God bless!

Jason said...

Thanks, Daniel!

Justin P. Lewis said...

Interesting blog, I think I might steal that idea. By the way, I like your taste in books.

Jason said...

Yeah, I stole the idea myself, man! I'm looking forward to seeing yours.