18 September 2006

Soccer things

Gave blood today about noon.

"Don't play soccer today!"

"I think I'm going to play anyway."

"Well, if you do play, drink a lot of gatorade before, while and after you play. Make sure your friends keep an eye on you and if you feel faint just sit down right there on the field so you don't pass out."

Ate meatball and salad sandwich from scraps after the fellowship lunch.

Drank plenty of water.

20-minute nap.

Soccer by myself in the pouring rain. It was getting fun. Where was everyone else?

Justin eventually came out (fifteen minutes later). We kicked around in the pouring rain for about 20 minutes more. Saw two bolts of lightning and heard lots of thunder so we quit. Danny was about to join us.

I dried off, then got a call from Phuong. He was here with two of his brothers. "There's a bunch of Mexicans on the field playing."

I went outside and there were about eight Latinos and two Spanish-speaking Gringos scrimmaging under a partly cloudy sky, which sprinkled slightly. Phuong and his brothers joined them. I stayed in my dry clothes.

I think God created soccer for humankind. So I ask, Who was faithful? The ones who waited in the rain, but then gave up or the ones who waited until the right time and then played the game? I don't know who was faithful, but I sure missed out on playing soccer with those guys. I missed out on them playing with Justin and I, too. I'm starting to see that the soccer universe revolves around me.

Man that's deep. I just wanted to justify my preoccupation with soccer. I hope you realize that I'm laughing at myself. By the way, I never passed out or even came close during those thirty minutes of playing. I thought about drinking the gatorade that was left on the side of the field from yesterday, but there were a lot of floaties in it.

3 comments:

Justin P. Lewis said...

I appreciate the credit I got for joining you in the rain (even though you kind of undercut me with the 15 minutes later to make yourself look better). It was earlier than that! I hope there is a next time without the rain...see you Tuesday.

Justin

Jason said...

Why did you have to ruin my soccer fantasy! Okay, I admit you were there most of the thirty minutes.

jason

Jason said...

You shouldn't be stunned--you taught me how to write Freshman year of college! But maybe that's why you think I am a good writer. (If I am any good, I should give Dr. Woodward some credit, too, though.) Good to see you found this blog so you can be preocuppied by it along with everything else.