04 June 2007

Memphis Workcamp


Above is a picture from last year's Memphis Workcamp. This is what Nicole and I will be up to this week. We'll be driving a big white van pulling a trailer with ladders, paint, and other supplies. Tonight there'll be dinner, orientation, and a praise service. Then, Nicole and I will spend the night with her friend (and mine, too), Kari Neiman closer to the meeting place for the kids we'll be driving to the supply tent everyday. This is the 19th annual Memphis workcamp. Last year, the 500th house was scraped and painted. We don't know yet our house or our work crew, but we'll learn of both tonight. I'm a little nervous even though this is my third year. I'm not nervous about the neighborhood, just about leading/serving a crew. They are the best of the best, volunteering like $60 not to mention free and cheerful labor. Keep us in your prayers.

Also, please pray for your neighbor whom we just met Saturday evening. Her nickname is "Pooky". She's an older woman and has a lot of cancer. She's taking 9 pills a day. Some of them are anti-depressents. She doesn't seem to like being treated like she is mentally ill (they put her in a mental hospital at one point because she considered not taking the chemotherapy anymore). Personally, I would consider giving up on the chemotherapy as well if it made me feel that bad (which the anti-depressent doesn't change). I think if I am feeling excruciating pain, it's only right to count the cost of dying. Anyway, Pooky really encouraged us and appreciates our prayers. It's good to make new friends.

Anyway, have a good week. :-)

No comments: