28 May 2007

Lou

Do you know Lou Ferrigno? He played the Hulk in the tv show in the 70s-80s. I remember well seeing him on Mr. Roger's and learning about how the makeup/costume was applied. I also remember watching Pumping Iron my freshman year of college. My friends, Noel and Jason Green, got to meet Lou and eat with him in a restaurant. They got me an autographed photo of "the Hulk". Noel sent that to me while I lived in Japan. That was awesome. I used to watch the Hulk series from behind the kitchen bar in our house until I was four. I wouldn't let my parents change the channel even though I was scared somewhat.

Well, recently, we moved in to our new apartment. I set my framed Hulk photo on the top of my bookshelf. When two of our maintenance guys came in to fix stuff, they commented on the photo with great excitement. "Did you meet Lou?" We enjoyed talking about him for a few minutes.

Then, after the "assembly order" as my local church community calls it, Lou came up in my conversation with a recent newcomer, a semi-retired man who uses a device to help him hear prayers and sermons. I said, "Do you know who Lou Ferrigno is?" We had several minutes of enthusiastic conversation about this good man. I said, "Did you know he is practically deaf?"

There was another conversation, though I don't remember who with (Derrick?), in which the other person said in reference to Lou, "Man, isn't he good at reading lips!" This conversation may have been on Saturday since my friend of half my life, Derrick, has been bodybuilding for a couple of years now. (I'll post on he and Naomi later.)

I hope to hear more good things about Lou in the coming future. Some "facts" that I hear about Lou are probably inaccurate, but it seems most people like Lou better the Arnold. It is interesting, though unprovable phenomenon to me. Feel free to give your "Lou" reports or opinions anytime on my blog. I'm thinking of placing him on my mental board of trustees along with MLK jr and Song Sun, some of my other heroes.

P.S. Nicole, who will always be on my mental board of trustees, just said, "I will not sleep with Lou Ferrigno in my bedroom," referring to the framed picture . . . not having read this post. Sorry, Lou, I guess you're going to have to sleep in the closet or living room or something.

3 comments:

Justin P. Lewis said...

Lou is awesome. You should hang the picture right where I recommended yesterday. Nothing is better than waking up to a big green man.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jason, I'm so glad you not only still treasure that picture, but that it's giving you conversation material with "strangers"!

And man... Derrick is lookin' buff. Looks like I did when I was 19.

I especially like the reflection of your arm in the picture of Lou.

He is really such a nice guy... I will never remember talking to him about the people we know that had just had open heart surgery and how "surreal" that was. It was surreal because the person I knew was my brother Jason, and the person he knew was Arnold Schwarzenegger!

And sorry to tell Nicole... but it's impossible to sleep in a room without Lou Ferrigno... he's just that awesome!

Agent B said...

Oh yeah...I meant to tell you...

I had a good friend who lived in Abilene for years. He grew up w/ Lou Ferigno in Brooklyn. They are both Italian decent.