04 April 2008

Prang!

I was in a fender bender today, or "prang", as they say in Australia. I rear-ended an '89 Buick with my '92 Camry and then a Maxima slid into my rear. James Brown was in the car with me. We had been following some coworkers in the rain to another job site. James said, "Don't follow Lomberto," who was driving a truck, minimizing visibility of the road ahead. I followed the truck instead of the other cars in the caravan anyway although I general respect James' ideas. Well, on a busy four-lane road with a "chicken" lane Lomberto changed lanes quickly without a blinker. Suddenly I saw the Buick stopped dead and trying to stop while wishing the next lane was clear for me to swerve. I skidded for a fair distance before contact. The older gentleman, Oliver, was thankfully on the sidewalk rather than jacking up his car, which had blown a tire.

Well, the rest of the story consists of standing in the cold rain and going well over our cell phone free minutes. I was the only white person in the story except, I assume, for some of the people I spoke with on the phone making claims and reports on the accident and communicating with coworkers and our superintendent. The man who rear-ended me had said, "I got a Dentist appointment," and pointed to his swollen jaw. He left. James and I drove Oliver around to find an affordable tire replacement. He got a tire for $30!

What I learned:
I want to slow down and not worry about being lost from my caravan. They stopped to wait on us anyway. Next time, I will attend to all general road conditions than on sticking to the car just ahead of me.
I want to lead people, especially in slick road conditions on Friday afternoon, with great care and patience. I'm sure Sammy, Marcus, and Lomberto had this patience, but I suddenly realized that I usually do not. Unfortunately, I usually think to myself, "I'm such a good driver; I'm glad I'm not like other drivers." This might begin to change.

What I was reminded of:
I spent around $60 for my spare tire last November at Wal-Mart.
Nicole had an accident a couple years ago. She was mostly okay except for nerves and a head bump.
I heard from Australia that my brother had been in a car accident. My heart sank. He was all right except for shock and a dinner plate-size bruise.
I was rear-ended by a young Iraqi immigrant to Australia.
When I was young and playing football with my Dad, my Uncle, and my cousin, I juked my, at the time, little cousin after an interception. I had baited his Dad into throwing it gently to Brian so he would be sure to make the catch. Then, I intercepted the pass and ran casually toward a 10-inch diameter tree, finally dodging the tree at the last second, into the left lane, if you will. Brian, with arms stretched forward 11 inches apart closed his eyes just in time to violently kiss the tree. I, in a very un-Christ-like moment, was already turned around to enjoy inwardly my shameful juke. I can't believe I did it on purpose. I am ashamed that I was proud of my abilities to juke my little cousin into the tree.
Luke 18:9-14, " . . . Everyone who honors himself will be humbled, but the person who humbles himself will be honored."

God have mercy on me, a sinner and proud driver! Please drive safely and listen to God's Word.

No comments: