01 April 2008

Back from Belize!

Back from Belize! The only great drawback of the trip was that Nicole and I were apart. I was so glad to see and hug her again!

Here is the first of many Belize trip pictures I intend to post and comment on:

Mariano works at the Punta Gorda hospital. Early on during my conversations in Belize, Mariano tells me he is on the hospital staff. I think he said "meal" attendant. I say, "So you do the cooking for the patients?" He says, "Uh, no sir Jason." Eventually, I realize that he is saying "male" attendant. He mainly runs around on account of male patients who just so happen to stay in the "male ward", a single room. Mariano and I got along very well and had some good laughs as well as attended patients together. He asked for a Bible, so I got him one for free and wrote in it. Another staff member took this picture just outside the hospital the night before our surgical mission team returned to the States.

The Monday before leaving for Belize, Nicole and I discovered that a) we are having a girl!!! and b) the afterbirth/placenta is covering the baby's "way out". So we had (and still have) anxiety over discovery "b".

On the plane I discovered Psalm 131. So I read and meditated on it throughout my time in Belize and even since I came back.

O Lord, my heart is not conceited.
My eyes do not look down on others.
I am not involved in things too big or too difficult for me.
Instead, I have kept my soul calm and quiet.
My soul is content as a weaned child is content in its mother's arms.
Israel, put your hope in the Lord now and forever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the best post you've written in a long time! I loved it!!

I'm sorry to hear about news "b". But I will remind you that God is Sovereign. He is in 100% control 100% of the time. So you can lay every worry at His feet with 100% confidence. :)

And congrats on news "a"! That is exciting!!!

Jason said...

Thanks, Noel, for the comments and the love. We are excited, too. We were just playing with our little girl while she was doing her alien impersonation (i.e., moving around inside her pod, Nicole's tummy).