22 October 2006

Aren't I Great?

I wonder how much of the world's population took a six-day vacation in a practical paradise like some Jamaican resort.

If there were only 100 people in the world, I would be the third richest one. (Click on the blog title to learn where you'd be.)

It makes me reflect on whether what I am doing with my life is pleasing to God.

Last Wednesday night I was teaching the teens from Daniel 4. The king oppressed people (indirectly) and thought nothing of God being in charge. But God gave him a disturbing dream. Daniel interpreted the dream from the king. The king was cut to the heart about the consequences promised because had not done what was pleasing to God with the great God-given resources he had. Daniel told him to repent from his oppression (no specifics were given). The king was humbled for a while, but then one day he was walking on the roof thinking, "Aren't I great and worthy!" Then, God turned him into something like an animal for "seven times". This did the trick to humble him. (There's actually extra-biblical evidence that validates this story somewhat . . . a King Nabonidus who was the father of Belshazzar of Daniel chapter 5 actually "went crazy" for seven years. At the end, a Jewish person performed a successful exorcism on the king who then went back to work being king . . .)

As a Christian, when I realize my "position" in the world I am not tempted to say, "Aren't I great and worthy!" but rather, "You must have given me this wealth for a reason? God, what do you want me to do with it? I can't just give it all away?"

In my dark side, however, I ask, "Will I really be held responsible for my actions in this age when Christ comes in the next?"

No comments: