20 July 2008

Justice Wears a Heart

I really want to see the new Batman movie and hope I can find time and a friend soon to see it with me.

I remember just before Batman Forever came out in 1995, they showed the movie trailer and one of the lines was, ". . . but justice wears a mask . . ." referring to Batman who wears a mask and fights crime. Does God care about justice? What does/would he do about injustice? Would God wear a disguise and slaughter bad guys?

Recently, I got the chance to be in class with a group of recent high school grads and college freshmen. We read Leviticus 19:1-37 and asked, basically, four questions and took notes as to some of what they all said. (Nicole chimed in, too.)

What does God do?
brings people out of oppression
saves people
delivers people
communicates


What is at God's heart? What does he care about most?
Sabbath, reverence, holiness,
caring for the poor, justice--fairness,
the stranger in the land,
worship (not to false gods),
life, supporting life,
compassionate (e.g., the deaf and blind),
honesty--don't steal


What information or knowledge is God most eager to share?
about himself--"I am the Lord"
"be holy"


What's the use of the Old Testament?
we're not slaves to the law . . . but it shows us what's right/wrong
it teaches us to care about what God cares about



There's a lot I would probably add in answering the last question, but that's another post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jason,
Congratulations on the birth of your beutiful baby.
You probably don't remember me,i knew you when you served with southwest church. Its me Sonia.
I heard that you will be coming to set up a church in Wollongong. I wanted to see if you could send me your email so i could talk to you about that. My email is smyleawhile@yahoo.com.au
Thanks

Anonymous said...

hi. my name is anjie and i was given this email address to get in touch with a lady named sonia ottley. I met her ages ago at an aa meeting, i think. I've been suffering from ptsd and other stuff for some time now and am desperate to talk to someone who understands and can maybe help me. Sonia gave me her email for this reason but i never had the confidence or courage to contact her, until now. I am a christian woman who's only survived the trauma of my life because of the grace of God and our Lord Jesus. I have become isolated, afraid and emotionally crippled by my current relationship and some other events that have taken place in my life in the last 9 mths. I am scared that my faith is failing and that I may give up. If you could please pass my email onto Sonia I would really appreciate it. Sorry to bother you with all of this. was surprised when i entered the email address and your site came up, but pleasantly surprised. maybe it was a God thing? You and Nicole sound like very nice people. It's because of people like yourself and the light of the spirit within you, that God sends to people like me so we always know we're not meant to get swallowed by the darkness.. Hope you can help. my email is anjiejackson@yahoo.com.au. thankyou. hopefully hear from yourself or Sonia soon.