10 August 2006

Old Saints vs. New Saints

What about struggles we “missionary types” have with already-Christians, who are not as excited about new Christians being so different?

Well they aren’t new struggles, anyway. Consider Acts 11-15 to see how the Good News spread so naturally. But, eventually the “official” church felt the need (appropriately) to check them out. They sent “sent ones” to Antioch. (“sent ones” is the translation for “apostles”.) The “sent ones” came back and reported “all is well,” but the report wasn’t accepted at face value. There was a lot of struggle, as chapter 15 reveals, between the “stay-at-home” leaders in Jerusalem and Paul and Barnabas and even Peter’s “fresh” theology that included new, different people in God’s grace.

I’m hoping to interact in the next few posts with Acts 11-15. Conveniently, I’m preaching Sunday night on “The Sending God”. I’m preaching Sunday morning, too, but I’ll probably post on that later. I hope I get some feedback, questions, and even corrections from family, friends, neighbors, and strangers.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey mate, thx for the post on my blog! loved reading thru your stuff. Was looking at the same kinda think last week with Acts 10 in mind, know that's just before where you're starting, but we found that interesting. Here's Peter called to Corny's place and yet with such clear instructions from God, he seems so hesitant to meet these Gentiles and proclaim the Gospel fully. That is until the Holy spirit seems to get a bit tired of Pete dodging the gd news and intervenes. After that, Peter's all gd and conveys that to the church in 11. Interesting how even Peter, gung-ho as he was in Acts 2...struggled with the idea of these new Christians.

Jason said...

Thx back! I mentioned Corny tonight, in fact. BTW, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "gd". Is that short for "God"? I'm a little slow with internet lingo. I was born pre-Star Wars. ;-) I did figure out thx and btw and Corny, though.

Unknown said...

lol sorry mate... it's GOOD...you know...I've been shot down for this but I've never watched Stars Wars...ever. And at 22 I think I missed it 2 andI don't intend on watching it either. But yar sorry..it was good.